Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Life Goes On

Hey Everybody!

Yeah, it's been QUITE a long time since I blogged anything. I actually just read my last blog....my daddy was still alive.....man how times have changed....

We lost daddy November 28, 2009, to cancer. My last blog was on Wednesday before we lost daddy on Saturday. I was planning on cooking for the entire family for Thanksgiving and having it at mama and daddy's house. Mama had to take daddy back to the hospital on Thanksgiving night cause he was having a hard time breathing. We found out the next day he couldn't breathe because the cancer had spread to his lungs. Sadly, that day, in his own way, he told us all goodbye. When I left the hospital, he told me that he loved me and to take care of Riley. He told the entire family that somehow he would be cured of his cancer, even if it meant that he wasn't here....That was Friday night. Saturday morning, mama called me and told me to get to the hospital. Josh and I did nothing under 100 mph getting there to find out that it was too late. Daddy had gone home. He had been cured of cancer. He was getting to watch the Egg Bowl with the best seats a Dawgs fan could ask for (for those that don't follow MS State and Ole Miss football, the Egg Bowl was on Nov. 28th, 2009).

With all that being said, the next few days were a blur to me. I do know that State won the Egg Bowl - I know dad had a hand in that :) I know we buried daddy on what felt like the coldest day in history! And I know that it takes nothing to make me cry anymore!

However, as the title to my post says, life does go on.......here's a synopsis of our life since then...

  • Riley started walking
  • Riley turned one
  • Andrew finished the MS State Fire Academy
  • I graduated with my Master's from Belhaven
  • I stayed at home with Riley ALL SUMMER!!!!!
Riley is the funniest little boy EVER!!!

Here is him "helping" me in my classroom this summer! He was super tired here and was doing anything and everything to stay awake!!

My goal in life is twofold #1 make sure that Riley knows who is Pop was and how much Daddy loved Riley. #2 is to do everything that I can to make sure no other family goes through what mine went through. I know the second goal is a bit ambitious but I am working with the Madison County Relay for Life and I am working to do everything that I can to promote cancer prevention. That's what daddy would want me to do - not to wallow in the fact that he's not here. He would want me to do everything that I could to stop this disease. To stop as many families as I can from going through this. And that's what I am going to do. I am going to do everything that I can to promote early cancer screenings and early cancer detections.

Love you daddy!! See you soon :)

1 comment:

Julie Ard James said...

Beautiful blog! Thanks for sharing!